You can be uniquely different when you hand out homemade treats that are not only healthier than store bought ones, but also fairly easy to make.
Healthy homemade Twix barsThese homemade chocolates are great because you get to control what goes into them – they are gluten free so it can be a great idea even for kids with gluten allergies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ a cup of white rice flour (you could also use buckwheat flour)
- 2 tbsp evaporated cane juice (you can also use coconut sugar; if not use regular sugar)
- ½ a cup of arrowroot (you can also use tapioca)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence or extract
- 3 + another 3 tbsp butter (nut or seed butters work pretty well here)
- 1 tbsp flax powder blended with 2 tbsp water
- A few pitted dates
- Water as required
- 3/4 cooking chocolate
Meanwhile take the dates, the remaining 3 tbsp of the nut butter and about a tbsp of water and blend this to form a smooth mixture (you may need to add a bit more water). Put a dollop of this paste atop each cookie to cover it completely and evenly. Place in the freezer for about half an hour.
Meanwhile, melt the cooking chocolate in a double boiler. Remove the cookies from the freezer and dip each of them in the liquid chocolate one by one. Place these on another baking sheet (even foil will do, you just need to be able to peel away the finished bars easily after they set) and freeze again. When they are nice and firm, wrap them in pretty foil, clear or colorful plastic sheets or other wrappers of your choice.
Simple homemade chocolatesWhat you need:
- 1 kg Cooking chocolate (use milk chocolate rather than dark chocolate; kids usually prefer the sweeter taste)
- 2 cups Mixed chopped nuts, roasted and/ or dried fruits such as raisins
- Chocolate mold trays in fun shapes
- Foil for wrapping
So here’s wishing you a sweet, fun filled and enjoyable Halloween. We do hope that you enjoy using these DIY ideas.
Did you know you could save up to 80% on your printer ink cartridge purchases when you buy from TomatoInk? To know more, subscribe to our newsletter or like us on Facebook – keep track of great discount offers and much more.